Grosse Ile Paddle Route This is a network of routes around various portions of Grosse Ile. These routes can be reached from a variety of access points either on GI or on the mainland.
- Thorofare Canal is a gentle paddle across Grosse Ile.
- Hennepin Marsh (just north of the Grosse Ile Toll Bridge) is home to many swan, ducks and other water fowl.
- The channel between Hennepin Point and Grosse Ile can be affected by vegetation in late summer.
- One can paddle through Stony Island and view swans, turtles, heron and the occasional eagle. Sometimes vegetation clogs the exit late in the summer. There is a heron rookery on Stony Island.
- A loop from GI waterfront park, around Stony Island, down the Livingstone channel returning via the hole-in-the wall is possible. One must be cautious of the strong current in the Livingstone channel. There can be be significant boat traffic, including freighters in the channel.
- One can often see pied-billed grebe, swans, ducks, american lotus in Gibraltar Bay.
Grosse Ile Paddle Route 360 View
Downriver Linked Greenways partnered with the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments and Terrain360 to bring you this virtual tour of the water trail.